Saturday, July 18, 2009

My first interview...

Finished college, rocked Muscat/ Dubai (missed M.A forms too due to this)…what next? Let’s take up a job to keep me busy for a year, until I get to fill my PG forms next, I thought. My darling friend Ark was generous enough to make me a CV, and here I was uploading it on Naukri.com!! I was sure that it would help; they don’t call it India’s No. 1 Job Site for nothing. And so it did…I get an interview call the very next morning.

“They are offering me a good package (for a fresher), Noida isn’t too far for commuting, the company sounds good too…OK, let’s go for it!”

I slipped into a pair of Numero jeans and a Hang Ten T-shirt, all set for an interview in one of the leading media companies in the country (Gosh…how could I do that…where else would I wear all the formal trousers and shirts in my wardrobe, if not for this interview!!!)

Anyways, I reached the company, with a copy of my Resume and all the certificates, carefully arranged in a neat file.

“Please fill in this form and wait for your turn.” said the lady at the reception, handing me over a piece of paper. Lo, another deed of a great woman comes forth…I don’t have a pen to fill the form!!!!

“Excuse me; can I borrow your pen?” I asked the female. She gave a deaf ear to my plea. I gathered the courage and repeated those words, trying to sound as sweet as possible.

“Cant you see that I’m working!!” the irritated woman shouted at me.

Gulp!! That was quite a humiliation in front of all the people present around me which included a peon too. Cursing her I turned back and accidentally bumped into the man who had called me for the interview. An angel he was…helped me with his own pen, talking to me kindly. God bless that man, and punish that woman. Grrrrrrr

In the next few minutes I was sitting in front of a Senior Manager of the company, followed by a meeting with the Branch Manager and the Business Head. Now I realize, I was as amateurish as I could get. I wonder what made them select me despite my casual attire and a "typical" college girl laid back and reckless attitude. But here I am, a part of this prestigious organization. It has been 2 years now, but I still feel abashed at the thought of my first interview ever. I sure would remember it for life...for all the embarrassing reasons!! ;)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

interesting...bt strange dat a gurl like u going for an interview in jeans and tshirt..lol