Thursday, June 3, 2010

Birthday Blow outs

The flaming month of June has begun. It’s that time of the year again when despite the sweltering weather; I’ve always found myself in high spirits. And why not, it’s my birthday month after all. Being the youngest member of my clan, birthdays have always been made a special affair to me. As a kid, it meant that it was one day in the whole year, when you were free to commit the deadliest of blunders of your life (which could even mean breaking a glass at home), and get away with it.

There are some very special memories attached to this month, which I’d want to write about. As a custom, any one day in this month was chosen by my brother, which was known as a “birthday shopping day” to us, which he took as an excuse to get the car from dad to take his girlfriends out, on the pretext of making me shop for my special day ;)
How mean, isn’t it? But I never seemed to mind it. I always had it work in my advantage. After all, I could ask for any thing I wanted, during the day. And my brother had to abide by it. He wouldn’t want to leave a bad impression on his girl, would he? :D
So no matter how much he loathed it, he had no choice but to put his best foot forward and be a darling, loving brother (a beast is disguise :P). No girl likes her man to be insensitive and rude to his cute little sister.
{I wished you could see the big LOL expression on my face while I write this}

Not only this, but this day out also gave me a chance to hang around with his bunch of friends. Being 9 years younger to him, it was really ‘cool’ for me to gang up with the his friends and be a part of the get tog ethers which did not mean wearing nice clothes, visiting friends, playing hide n seek and then having your parents pick up back home. It meant catching up with the whole bunch of old pals, sharing a pizza or some pork momos at Chanakya, chit chatting and just chilling out.

Another essential part of the birthday celebrations was getting the invitation leaflets, preparing the guest list and sending in the invites. The night before my birthday was spent decorating the drawing room with those bright streamers, balloons, a big Happy Birthday hanging and all sorts of decorations. The excitement level used to be at its peak. And the lead here was of course…bhaiya! :)

On one of the birthdays, in the year when he was to get married, he took all the pains to have his fiancée sneak out of her house, to cut my birthday cake at midnight. Keeping in mind the authoritarian family she came from, it definitely was the greatest gesture of love I could’ve got from her. I even got a peck on my cheek, from a female who has never believed in physical displays of affection, even with her own parents :D

Parents always make your birthday special in a parent’s way. They’d love you, give you expensive presents, make your favorite dishes, and take you out for dinner. But it’s your siblings who make your birthdays ‘Rocking’ in the real sense of the word. And my brother has made sure he has always done that for me, whenever we are together on this day in the past 23 years. The last birthday I spent with him, he took me out for a ‘mujra-dinner’ in Shereton Dubai and had the entire assemblage sing a birthday song for me on the orchestra.
See, this authenticates my statement, when I say he always makes it carnivalesque and zippy ;)

My 24th birthday is round the corner. As every year, my excitement level is at its peak. Though I am not gonna be with my brother this time, but I look forward to a nice one indeed. All my friends please catch the hint… ;)

Cheers!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

very cute!!n it seems bhai pe kafi zulm dhaye hai...n yes i got the hint, i am available for your treat;)

Unknown said...

very sweet !! very loving... strong bonding between both of u can be felt on reading... also I got the hint and I am available for the treat.... :P