6th July, 2012
It was 1 am, my weekend...a Thursday night. How can Thursday night be a weekend? Well, thats my stupid job, where I work for the Middle Eastern market and hence the weird weekend schedule.
Anyways, not deviating from the story...so I had been watching some random rom- com, as I usually did on my weekends. Buzzz goes my phone. It was an email from some guy in the States. Another bakra that my folks had short listed for me. Phewww how can they not get
tired of it.
So here's the thing, I had just turned 26 a week back...too old an age as per the Indian standards, for a girl to stay unmarried. So my family had pulled up their socks to find me a guy this year and sort me out. I had been working at a managerial position in the country's leading job portal. 5 years and still going strong. I had joined them as a fresher and today I had a team under me... People who looked up to me for their careers ahead, who worked by values inculcated in them by me. At this stage in my career, all that I had ahead of me was growth prospects, which I wanted to concentrate
on.
But going by the Indian mindset, career has a place far below in the priority list of a girl's life. Hence the search for my Mr. Perfect was on at full swing.I had been informed about this guy settled in the States, who had apparently showed interest in my Shaadi.com profile and was given my contacts for a head start. I had briefly skimmed through his profile previously. He looked alright...alright also
because I was quite sure that a calm Gujarati Patel guy wouldn't want to marry a girl from a loud Punjabi family. He would himself turn this rishta down after a few conversations. No blame comes on me and this shit is taken care of. It couldn't get better than this. But little did I know that fate had some other plans for me.
I checked my phone and read this stupidest email I had ever read (if I can take the liberty to invent this word to focus on the intensity of how lame the mail was). First, the guy addressed me as 'ju-jeetsu'! I mean who does that when you are talking to a girl for the first time...especially for such a sensitive issue. He had briefed a bit about himself...some general stuff. I scrolled down for an attachment that the mail had, which was the highlight of the mail. Normally people attach their own pictures while sending such matrimonial emails. But guess what this guy had sent...a picture of his dog.
For the record, I hate dogs!!
I read this mail, smirked at the lameness and threw the phone away dismissively. A gave two hoots to this doggy obsessed guy sitting in the other part of the globe. My movie seemed more interesting for a change.
A couple of minutes later my phone buzzed again. It's a text from the same guy
this time...a simple 'Hi' though.
'Ya ya, Hii...now will you please let me be', I thought and threw the phone back again.
A few more minutes and my phone beeped of a Whatsapp message. Ahh what a relief. One of my silly friends is awake and can entertain me at this hour of the night. I picked up my phone with a smile, just to be proved wrong. It was him
again.
How can somebody be so annoyingly persistent!
There was no escape now. Whatsapp shows a double tick when the message is read. Courtesy demanded a reply and so I did.
And this is just the beginning of how it turned in to a beautiful love story and resulting in me sitting in the State today, married to this guy! :)
It was 1 am, my weekend...a Thursday night. How can Thursday night be a weekend? Well, thats my stupid job, where I work for the Middle Eastern market and hence the weird weekend schedule.
Anyways, not deviating from the story...so I had been watching some random rom- com, as I usually did on my weekends. Buzzz goes my phone. It was an email from some guy in the States. Another bakra that my folks had short listed for me. Phewww how can they not get
tired of it.
So here's the thing, I had just turned 26 a week back...too old an age as per the Indian standards, for a girl to stay unmarried. So my family had pulled up their socks to find me a guy this year and sort me out. I had been working at a managerial position in the country's leading job portal. 5 years and still going strong. I had joined them as a fresher and today I had a team under me... People who looked up to me for their careers ahead, who worked by values inculcated in them by me. At this stage in my career, all that I had ahead of me was growth prospects, which I wanted to concentrate
on.
But going by the Indian mindset, career has a place far below in the priority list of a girl's life. Hence the search for my Mr. Perfect was on at full swing.I had been informed about this guy settled in the States, who had apparently showed interest in my Shaadi.com profile and was given my contacts for a head start. I had briefly skimmed through his profile previously. He looked alright...alright also
because I was quite sure that a calm Gujarati Patel guy wouldn't want to marry a girl from a loud Punjabi family. He would himself turn this rishta down after a few conversations. No blame comes on me and this shit is taken care of. It couldn't get better than this. But little did I know that fate had some other plans for me.
I checked my phone and read this stupidest email I had ever read (if I can take the liberty to invent this word to focus on the intensity of how lame the mail was). First, the guy addressed me as 'ju-jeetsu'! I mean who does that when you are talking to a girl for the first time...especially for such a sensitive issue. He had briefed a bit about himself...some general stuff. I scrolled down for an attachment that the mail had, which was the highlight of the mail. Normally people attach their own pictures while sending such matrimonial emails. But guess what this guy had sent...a picture of his dog.
For the record, I hate dogs!!
I read this mail, smirked at the lameness and threw the phone away dismissively. A gave two hoots to this doggy obsessed guy sitting in the other part of the globe. My movie seemed more interesting for a change.
A couple of minutes later my phone buzzed again. It's a text from the same guy
this time...a simple 'Hi' though.
'Ya ya, Hii...now will you please let me be', I thought and threw the phone back again.
A few more minutes and my phone beeped of a Whatsapp message. Ahh what a relief. One of my silly friends is awake and can entertain me at this hour of the night. I picked up my phone with a smile, just to be proved wrong. It was him
again.
How can somebody be so annoyingly persistent!
There was no escape now. Whatsapp shows a double tick when the message is read. Courtesy demanded a reply and so I did.
And this is just the beginning of how it turned in to a beautiful love story and resulting in me sitting in the State today, married to this guy! :)
1 comment:
Romantic love story!
Only one Blog in year 2003 why???
Amar Singh
Ex- Cab - Member
Post a Comment